1717: As the two hammer works Philippsburg and Altenhammer, near to Floß, were not able to produce enough bombs and howitzer grenades for the imperial armoury in Wien, anymore, Theodor Eustach, palatine of the duchy Sulzbach, founds the third iron works in the county Parkstein-Weiden.The blast furnance is completed on September 27, 1717. The production starts after the obligations of the employees.
■ 1719: To directly process the raw iron to wrought iron, a hammer mill is being built – This ist he name giver for the village Weiherhammer.
■ 1730: The first workers, charcoal burners and wagoners settle across from the plant. The name of the small settlement is “Weihersdorf”, later “Beckendorf”.
■ 1832: In addition to the foundry products, wagon axles are produced in Weiherhammer, for the first time. This is the year of origin of the machine factory.
■ 1875: The „Bavarian Ostbahn“ (Bavarian eastern line) opens the railway line Weiden-Neukirchen/Sulzbach-Rosenberg. In the sequel Weiherhammer benefits significantly from the railway station which has an integrated post and rail expedition. This has the indirect consequence that the refound of imported raw iron in the cupola furnance gets cheaper than the cast iron production, made of ore, in the charcoal oven.
■ 1927: The company BHS (Bayerische Berg-, Hütten- und Salzwerke) is founded. The free state of Bavaria brings the state-run enterprises which were organized as commisions before, in the corporation, in return for the issue of shares. The seat of the corporation and the headquarters remain in Munich.
After the first world war the production is extended by the production of glass polishers, travelling grates, motorized road rollers as well as milling equipment.
■ 1952: On February 12, after the separation from the mother settlement of Etzenricht, the community of Weiherhammer becomes independent. Thus Weiherhammer gets a strong growth dynamic – a large number of shops and small businesses arise.
1960: The year of origin of BHS – as it is organized until today. Paul Engel, sales manager of BHS suggests to invest into development and construction of corrugators. Already one year later, the first corrugator is delivered to Stahl company in Fleck/Lengries. At the time nobody expected that this new production sector nowadays takes the worlds´ leading place when it comes to the manufacture of corrugators.
■ 1969: The production of corrugators in the machine factory amounts 80 per cent of the whole production.
■ 1972: With the restructure of the local government, Kaltenbrunn, Dürnast and Trippach are integrated in the community of Weiherhammer; the merger of the communities happens in 1976. Shortly before the independent area „Etzenrichter Forst“ has been incorporated. This creates space for the settlement of further industry companies.
■ 1990: The turnover of the foundry, in relation to the total turnover of the company, shrinks more and more.1990 the turnover of the foundry amounts only one-seventh of the total turnover. To separate both productions from each other also economically, the foundry is integrated in the new founded Guststec GmbH. Since that time, BHS is exclusively specialized as engineering company.
■ 1991: The free state of Bavaria sells all shares of the BHS AG to the chemicals company SKW Trostberg AG (later called Degussa AG). In the following years, Degussa sells, or shuts down all business business sectors. As a pure holding-company without operative business operation, the BHS AG will be merged with SKW Trostberg.
■ 1993: The new owners Paul Engel and Edmund Bradatsch assume responsible of the outsourced corrugator company. At this time, the company has a workforce of 330 employees. The company with the new name “BHS Corrugated“ grows rapidly and quickly becomes a leading position as developer and manufacturer of corrugators.
■ 2002: BHS Corrugated builds its first corrugator with a working width of 3.30 meters. The corrugator is ordered by Prowell.
■ 2015 until now.The producer of corrugator invests 65 million euros in the new building infrastructure at its headquarters. The biggest and most visible project is the construction of the so called “Lifecycle Building”. This complex houses nearly all office working places, as well as the new assembly hall including flow production and the extension of corrugating rolls production
Today “BHS Corrugated Maschinen- und Anlagenbau GmbH” is the market leader in the development, production and assembly of corrugators. The two sons of Mr. Paul Engel are responsible for the company management, Christian Engel as the company spokesman and Lars Engel as the head of Sales.